Rummy Online Card Games- Know the Game And Its Rules
Rummy is among the most popular card games in the world. It is usually played during social gatherings like family events and festivals. It has been a part of India’s culture and tradition for centuries. It is one of the few card games that are growing continuously in terms of players and followers. If you have never played Rummy before or have not played in a long time, you need to know about the game and its rules. In this guide, we will help you understand the basic rules of rummy and polish your skills.
Objective of Rummy
You will be dealt 13 cards that you have to arrange in valid sequences. According to the rules, you must have 2 or more sequences. One of these must be a pure sequence while others can be a valid set or sequence. Without a pure sequence, you cannot make a valid declaration. If you have arranged the cards in the required combination, you can win the game after you discard the cards to the Finish slot. Unlike other card games, in Rummy, aces can be low or high, but not in the same game. So, all the sequences that involve Aces can take the form A-K-Q or A-2-3, but not K-A-2.
Rules of Rummy
- Number of cards – The rummy game can be played with 2 to 6 players with either 1 deck or 2 decks of cards. As the game starts, 13 cards will be dealt with every player. In every game, a random card is made by the wild Joker. All the cards are randomly dealt with. However, experienced players know how to play against the odds. This proves that Rummy is a game of skill, not a game of luck.
- Number of players – The minimum number of players required for a game of rummy is 2 players and the maximum is 6 players. You will have to use 2 decks of cards if there are more than 2 players.
- Toss – Which player will start the game will be determined by the toss. Every player will be dealt a card at the beginning of the game. The player who has the highest card wins the toss and can make the first move.
Each game begins with a toss where it is decided which player will be making the first move. A wild joker is randomly selected from the deck and every player is dealt 13 cards. From the remaining cards, the first card will be placed face-up forming an open deck. The remaining cards will be faced down forming a closed deck.
All the players have to arrange their cards in sets and sequences. When they get their turn, they either pick a card from the open deck or closed deck and put one of their cards to the open deck. The player who is able to arrange their cards in valid sequences or sets and sequences first will win the game.
Basic concepts of the game
The rummy game has two concepts:
- Sequence – It includes 3 or more cards that are consecutive and of the same suit. It is an important aspect of the game. For winning, a player must have two sequences out of which one should be a pure sequence. A pure sequence is one in which no card is replaced by a Joker. All the cards must be in sequences or in sets and sequences.
- Sets – In rummy, Sets are optional. A set includes 3 to 4 cards of the same value/rank but with different suits.
- Jokers – This includes printed and wild Jokers. This card has a special role in the rummy game. They can be used for replacing the cards for forming sets and sequences.
Winning at the rummy game
Once you have completed the objective of the game, you must declare the hand by discarding one of your cards to the Finish slot. If you have a valid hand, you will win. The losing players will get points equal to the value of the unmatched cards. The winner will get zero points.
Some important points that you should know
- First, you will need to download the game. For this, you just need to search for Rummy game download and start playing right away.
- At the beginning of the game, the cards will be sorted. This is done for arranging the dealt cards in possible sequences and sets. It reduces the possibility of losing valuable cards or mixing them up. Once you see the cards on the screen, click on the sort button, and start playing.
- There are cash tournaments that you can play with real money.
- In a rummy game, the maximum points a player can get is 80 points, regardless of the value of their cards.
- If you declare their hand without forming the correct sequence or completing the objective, you will be penalized with 80 points.
- There are three rounds of rummy game. The player with the maximum number of chips, in the end, will be declared as the winner.
- All the players are required to pay a certain amount for entering the rummy tournament. It is the entry fee which will put you at stake. This accumulated buy-in will be the prize pool that will be won by the best players in the game.
- On every turn, you will have to pick a card from the open or closed deck.
- After every turn, the player has to draw one card and put one on the open deck.
- All the players have the option of leaving or quitting the game before it ends. This is known as dropping. If you leave the game on your first turn, you will get 20 points. If you drop after your first turn, you will get 40 points. If you miss three turns consecutively, you will get a middle drop and you will be dropped automatically from the game.
The best way to get better at rummy is by practicing. The more practice, the better you will get. Don’t stress out too much and try to have fun. Happy Gaming!